Code Of Ethics
1. All Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club Of The Western Reserve Inc.(PWCCWR) members shall be dedicated to the preservation and welfare of the Pembroke Welsh Corgi breed.
2. All PWCCWR members must ensure their actions are in the best interest of the breed, this club and its members.
3. The prime objective for breeding the Pembroke Welsh Corgi is to produce animals of exceptional quality.
- Only dogs and bitches of sound temperament and structure, good health and characteristic type as described in the American Kennel Club’s AKC approved Official Standard for the Pembroke Welsh Corgi should be used for breeding.
- Dogs and bitches should not be used for further breeding if they have, 2 litters produced offspring with the same serious genetic defect such as: blindness, deafness, lameness, or impairment of vital functions which prevent these offspring from living a normal, healthy life without major surgical or significant medical intervention.
- Bitches to be bred must be in robust health. Eyes and hips should be checked and found to be within normal limits. A bitch is not to be bred prior to 1 year of age or older than 8 years, nor should she produce more than 6 litters in her lifetime. A bitch should not be bred more than 2 out of 3 consecutive heat seasons. Stud service should be offered only to bitches whose owners adhere to the above guidelines.
- A male should not be used at stud unless his hips and eyes are checked and found to be within normal limits.
- Members should not consider breeding a litter unless they are prepared to keep the resultant puppies for as long as it takes to suitably place each puppy. Members offering stud service should request the above assurance from the owners of bitches.
- Members should take lifetime responsibility to ensure that Pembrokes of their breeding are cared for in a safe and healthy environment.
- The breeder of a rescued Pembroke, who is a member of the PWCCWR shall, upon notification, provide for the corgi’s care.
4. The selling of puppies and adult Pembrokes must be accomplished in a manner that reflects the PWCCWR member’s care, concern and integrity
- All puppies and adults shall be maintained and/or sold in a clean and healthy condition.
- Puppies are to be a minimum of 8 weeks old, have received the appropriate vaccination and worming, and should be examined by a Veterinarian prior to sale.
- A spay/neuter contract shall be used in the sale of a puppy or adult showing a very serious fault as described in the Standard or other faults such monorchidism or cryptorchidism. Members are encouraged to use the limited registration option offered by the American Kennel Club.
- Written agreements are recommended to specify details of the sale including health guarantees and the breeder’s lifetime responsibility. The purchaser shall be provided with accurate and valid documentation of the Pembroke’s AKC registration and pedigree.
- There must be NO wholesaling of litters or selling of breeding stock to pet dealers, commercial retailers or distributors or to any party for the purpose of resale. No member should be associated with an auction, lottery or raffle involving dogs for the prize.
5. Good sportsmanship is essential for all PWCCWR members.
- All members shall conduct themselves in a manner that reflects credit on the Pembroke Welsh Corgi and the PWCCWR.
- Members should not engage in false or misleading advertising or other misrepresentation of their Pembroke(s).
- Members shall be accountable for the actions of an employed handler as they pertain to the PWCCWR Code of Ethics.